Saturday, February 25, 2012

Why School Misses The Point

When you write, do you try to drag it out as long as you can? Do you fill the reader with useless information before getting to your real point? Of course not. Why do schools teach us this is the way to write?

I have been blogging and freelance writing for about 5 months now and I've had to unlearn everything I was taught. I don't need 1,200 words to get my point across. I need 300. I respect my reader's time, and therefore will not waste it writing a 1,200 word essay. Another thing, I don't do any prewriting. I don't sit down and chart out everything I want to say. I just write. There's a reason I get things done in 24 hours when other people need a week.

Don't get caught up in closing sentences, or making sure that your paragraphs are indented. Just write something people want or need to hear, and everything else works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment